Saturday, June 11, 2011

FINISHED!!!!

Finally! Done with finals. Done with school for this year. Next class isn't until the end of September. That doesn't mean I'm done learning, of course. I'll still take vocal lessons over the summer from one of my professors. My conducting prof has offered to come watch me work and help me grow. But as far as having to attend an actual class - TA-DA!!!! No more! I can take a breath and relax now. I've got so much to do around the house this summer. New floors to put in the living areas, we're painting the outside of the house, a deck to build, perhaps. So much to do, and the summer will fly by. But that's the way it's supposed to be, I think. I'm looking forward to the challenge. So, as I head off into quasi-relaxation time, I'll leave you with a video of my conducting final. If you watch it, be sure to watch both attempts. The first was w/ piano, and the second was acapella. Both were different. And I think you'll love the song. Healey Willan, the guy who wrote it, took the text from the sexiest book in the Bible - Song of Songs. (And, yes, there is a sexy book in the Bible. You need to check it out. I'm pretty sure your library has one. So does your local hotel. Thank the Gideons.) The composer, Willan, was known to have the most awesome quotation about himself. Regarding his ancestry, he'd say, "I'm British by birth, Canadian by choice, Irish by descent, and Scotch by consumption". I want a quote that cool attributed to me one day. Known as the "Dean of Canadian Composers", this man was brilliant. He wrote over 800 works, including operas and symphonies. This piece is one of his best. Not very long, it is amazingly complex. I hope you enjoy it. We didn't have the biggest or best group singing it, but we had heart, and in the end, that's all that matters. Well, that and vocal diction, inflection, pitch, intonation, tambre, resonance...yeah. Ok. Heart is on the list somewhere. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. How long did it take to learn how to conduct ----Keaton

    ReplyDelete